Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
November Lead Better London - Two Day Essential Skills Workshop for Software Team Leaders
Wednesday, November 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM - Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 4:30 PM (CET)
London, United Kingdom
Feel free to contact me directly with ANY questions about this course and others.
Why should you care about this course?
A good team leader is key to Agile success. Why?
Have you ever come across these situations?
- You try to convince your team that a specific practice is a good idea, but no one really adopts it, and you don’t know what to do about it.
- You are afraid of losing friendships just because you’ve become manager to the same people you’ve worked with as a team member up until now.
- Your team doesn’t have time to do anything but putting out fires and you feel helpless about it.
- You have a problematic team member and you feel like you’ve tried everything to solve this behavior and failed.
- You are being expected to perform impossible feats with impossible deadlines, and can’t do anything to stop it.
- You think that your team will never be able to be one of those “extreme programming” teams you keep writing about.
- You wonder “if only I had better people in my team I’d…”
I recently gave a talk on Team Leadership in the age of Agile:
You are not alone in these thoughts. We’ve all been there. A lucky few of us had good mentors to teach us what to do in these situations, but most of us just try our best and hope for miracles. Keep our heads down and pray nothing bad happens until the next person comes along.
In this course you’ll learn the basic trade secrets for managers and coaches - how to lead teams to greatness, with a twist - this course is especially designed for software team leaders - and deals with specific people issues in this highly technical world.
Hopefully, by the end of this course you’ll feel not only empowered to change things for the better, but you’ll also be equipped with a set of tools and techniques to help you think through and overcome tough people issues and challenges during your time as a team leader.
Based on my experiences and my blog at http://5whys.com
One year’s experience developing software using any language
Day 1 – Elastic Leadership Principles
Skills being developed:
- Understanding the three phases of team maturity
- The chaos-command phase
- Dealing with impossible tasks, management conditions and people
- The Learning-commanding coach phase
- Managing current work with task boards and kanban boards
- Using Delegation as a growth tool
Day 2 – Influence and Team Growing
Skills being developed:
- The Self Leading-Coach phase
- Influencing the six forces that change people’s behavior
- Understanding and approaching the five dysfunctions of teams
About Roy Osherove
Roy is the author of The Art of Unit Testing and runs Team Leadership and TDD classes across Europe and Scandinavia. He is currently writing a book called "Notes to a software team leader".
When & Where
I run TDD and team leadership classes for software developers.
If you’ve ever been to one of my classes, I’d love it if you left me a testimonial!
Previously The chief architect at Typemock, Roy is one of the original ALT.NET organizers. He consults and trains teams worldwide on the gentle art of unit testing and test-driven development. He frequently speaks at international conferences such as NDC, oredev and TechEd.
Roy is the author of the book The Art of Unit Testing, and writes about subjects such as unit testing, TDD Team Leadership and agile development on his blog is at http://5whys.com